Below is a recent reply to a resident inquiry regarding the Library Project
Please accept this letter as an answer to your multi-page inquiry on the Library project presented to our office in a letter dated January 16, 2013. Below I have re-printed your information requests along with the answers I was able to obtain.
RFI: On the terminated 18,000 Sq. Ft. Library:
Money expended by the Town of Boxford on the 18,000 Sq. Ft. Library Project to Date:
- Total Cost of all funds paid out or will be spent on the 18,000 sq. ft. Library Program. Include in the cost any planned/anticipated billing that has not been received or paid relative to the project. This would include any termination costs. $442,248.65
- For item #1 above, please break out the following costs:
- Total of all legal fees: $36,811. Please break out the legal fee regarding the appeals for the Zoning Board of Appeals and the HDC: $28,873.
- Total Architectural Fees. $344,202.21. Please break out the cost of the planning phase, proposal phase and design phase. Boxford’s contract with the architect does not utilize the terms you listed; Our documents report the following phases and funds actually expended:
Schematic Design 100% complete: $24,500 paid;
Design Development 100% complete: $122,500 paid;
Construction Documents 93.92% complete: $184,080 paid; Bidding Oversight 0% complete: $0 paid;
Construction Oversight 0% complete: $0 paid.
- Please provide the cost of all consultant fees not included above: Owners Project Manager (STV, Inc.) $38,135 paid. Asbestos Consultant (Universal Environmental) $950 paid.
- Please provide the cost of purchasing the land required for the Library. $4,002. The current 3.37 acre 10 Elm Street property is a merger of five separate parcels. Prior to 1982, the land and buildings were owned by a private non-profit organization known as the “Private Trustees”. The Private Trustees had acquired the land as various gifts: the Bacon parcel in 1880, the Alcott parcel in 1920 and the Cummings House and land in 1928. The Private Trustees deeded all three parcels to the Town of Boxford in 1982 for $1. The Town subsequently acquired the Cotton parcel in 1993 for $4,000 and a narrow strip of the adjacent Falk property in
2006 for $1.
- Please provide the cost of drilling the well for the Library. Charles Rollins Company was paid $16,150.44
- Please provide the cost paid to Town employees regarding their work on the project. None that I am aware of. Obviously some portion of the time of existing salaried employees was spent on the project, but I am unable to cost out that portion.
Grant Funding by the State:
- Please provide the total amount of grant awarded. $2,784,242.
- Please provide the total amount of grant received. $835,273.
- Please provide the total amount of the grant expended. $405,437.65 Please breakout any termination costs: $0. Note: Other than a few statutorily permitted exceptions, municipal contracts are not allowed to include “ramp down” or “termination costs” – vendors may only be compensated for work actually performed.
- Please provide total amount Boxford is holding in reserve. $429,835.35
- Total amount to be or has been returned to the State of Massachusetts. $429,835.35
Total Project of 18,000 sq. ft. Library (Hard and Soft costs)
Please provide the Total Project Cost to the town that would be needed for the 18,000 square foot library (start to finish and include funds expended.) Project budget was $7,361,280. Breakout as follows:
- Please provide a breakout of the financial cost. Project was to be funded by State Construction grant of $2,784,242; State LEED Certification grant of $173,311.85; private fundraising of $100,000; and Boxford taxpayer issued 20 year bonds of $4,303,726.15. Please breakout the planned loan required, total interest cost and the rate assumed and the loan duration. At the time estimates were prepared for the Town’s portion of the funds to be
borrowed it was thought that the Town’s debt portion would be slightly higher at $4,477,000. Four financing options were considered and modeled (final financing decision was deferred to actual time when debt was to be issued), including both level principal and level payment for a 20 year bond and a 30 year bond. For the 20 year bonds 5.0% was assumed and for the 30 year bond 6.0% was assumed. The interest costs were estimated as follows:
20y, level principal: $2,345,275;
20y, level payment: $2,678,525;
30y, level principal: $4,124,545 and
30y level payment $5,218,645.
As it turned out, no funds were ever borrowed since the design portion of the project was only completed and paid for with the state grant funds. Of note, had the project been approved, at the same time as projected for Library debt to be issued, the Town did issue unrelated debt for other purposes and the 20 year long term market rate was 1.7%.
- Please breakout total architectural costs. $490,000. Please break out cost for proposal, planning design and construction support. Boxford’s contract with the architect does not utilize the terms you listed; Our contracts include the following phases and amounts: Schematic Design: $24,500; Design Development: $122,500; Construction Documents: $196,000; Bidding Oversight: $24,500; Construction Oversight: $122,500.
- Please break out the total amount of the planned construction cost. As of April 2011 cost estimate was: Site Improvements: $895,061; Well Drilling: $18,000; New Construction: $3,697,203; General Conditions and Escalation $1,160,736; TOTAL: $5,771,000.
- Please provide planned reserve cost that is a part of the total project cost. $259,921.
Support Cost for the 18,000 sq. ft. Library
Please provide total cost for maintaining and supporting the Library. Please include the implementation cost of the long range planning items, i.e, heating lighting, grounds maintenance, building maintenance and repair costs. An anticipated building maintenance and operating budget would have been prepared as part of the Commissioning Consultant’s services, but the project was stopped before that service was provided. Attached is a document prepared by internal staff at the time of the October 2010 Special Town Meeting.
Request for Information on the Proposed 15,000 Sq. Ft. Library
Total Project of 15,000 sq. ft. Library (hard and soft costs)
Please provide the Total Project Cost to the town that would be needed for the 15,000 square foot library (start to finish and include funds expended). The Design Budget for the $15,000 sq. ft. building is estimated to be between $350,000 and $450,000. The Permanent Building Committee is still collecting data for the final amount to be sought at the February 26, 2013 Town Meeting. Expect final design budget to be ready 2/8/13. The Construction budget is not part of the 2/26/13 Town Meeting and full construction budget funding is not expected to be requested until 10/22/2013 and will be based upon actual construction bids received at that time. However, a professional
cost estimate has been sought based upon the schematic drawings to date on the ‘hard costs” of the 15,000 sq. ft. stand alone building. The building cost estimate is expected to be ready 2/12/2013. Note: At various points during design, additional professional cost estimates are completed, 1) at the conclusion of the Design Development phase 2) at 60% completion of construction documents and 3) at 90% completion of Construction Documents.
Breakouts as follows:
- Please provide break out financial costs. Unable to provide as noted above as that information has not yet been developed. Please break out the planned loan required, total interest cost and the rate assumed and loan duration. Unable to provide as noted above as that information has not yet been developed.
- Please breakout the total architectural cost. Please break out cost for proposal, planning, design and construction support. Currently in fee negotiations with the Architect. Anticipate final number 2/8/13.
- Please break out the total amount of the planned construction cost. Unable to provide as noted above as that information has not yet been developed.
- Please break out planned reserve for construction unknowns Unable to provide as noted above as that information has not yet been developed.
- Please include costs of all work planned on the current library Unable to provide as noted above as that information has not yet been developed.
- Please provide planned reserve cost that that is a part of the total project cost. Unable to provide as noted above as that information has not yet been developed.
Support Costs for the 15,000 sq. ft. Library
Please provide total cost for maintaining and supporting the Library. Please include the implementation cost of the long range planning items, i.e, heating lighting, grounds maintenance, building maintenance and repair costs. Unable to provide as noted above as that information has not yet been developed.
I hope this information has been help to you.
For the Town of Boxford
Alan J. Benson